Abstract submission is now closed.
The 1st IWA Non-Sewered Sanitation (NSS) specialist group conference is being hosted by the Water Research Commission in South Africa. The event responds to the challenges and needs of around 4 billion people requiring sanitation. The aim of the conference is to provide stimulus for research and innovation for NSS and offgrid sanitation solutions including faecal sludge management, build the technical and scientific base for NSS and to contribute to scientific knowledge and good practice learnings.
CONFERENCE THEME: NON-SEWERED SANITATION (NSS): STIMULATING INNOVATIVE SOLUTIONS AND UPTAKE FOR PEOPLE NOT CONNECTED TO SEWERS
CALL FOR ABSTRACTS
The 1st IWA Non-Sewered Sanitation Conference invites you to submit abstracts for Oral and Poster presentations according to the following themes:
- Advancements in NSS technology – Product development (e.g. front end/back end/combined systems/desludging/decentralised)
- Emerging processes
- Technology development
- Testing and optimising
- Health and safety
- Advancements in pit emptying solutions, faecal sludge processing technology, logistics and management.
- Application and demonstration – scientific exploration of lessons and experiences
- Advances in process science
- Moisture and Drying
- Capacity Building for NSS
- Municipal and private sector transitions to off-grid and NSS solutions
- Emerging circular economy and resource recovery concepts
- New developments / Advances in manufacturing, demonstration and scale up of new solutions
- Case studies on off-grid and NSS applications
- Detection, characterisation and quantification in relation to process performance, standards and regulation
- Fundamentals of sanitation economy and service delivery.
- Research-based innovations and solutions for city-wide sanitation
- Solutions for Informal Settlements
- Any new areas of interest related to off-grid and NSS
The abstract should be no more than 600 words and contain no graphs / pictures. No template is required.
Call Open: 10 February 2023
Closing date for Call: 19th April 2023
Reviews of Abstracts: 11 April 2023 to 11 May 2023
Authors informed: 15 May 2023
Registration completed for authors by 30 July 2023
Presenters to register and pay by 30 June 2023 in order to be included in the programme
Selected full papers will be considered for peer reviewed publication in an international journal. This will be decided in consultation with IWA Publications.